Georgetown is a historic neighborhood and a commercial and entertainment district located on the outskirts of Northwest Washington, D.C., situated in the Potomac River. It was established in 1751 within the Province of Maryland, and the port of Georgetown existed before the founding of the federal district and that of the City of Washington for 40 years. Georgetown was a separate city until 1871, when the United States Congress created a new, consolidated government for the entire District of Columbia. An act passed in 1895 expressly repealed Georgetown’s other local ordinances. It also changed the names of Georgetown’s streets in line with the streets in Washington, Columbia. The city of Washington.
The main commercial corridors in Georgetown are the intersection with Wisconsin Avenue and M Street, high-end stores and bars, restaurants, and Georgetown Park; the Georgetown Park enclosed shopping mall. Georgetown Park is home to the Washington Harbor waterfront restaurants situated on K Street, between 30th and 31st Streets. Georgetown is the location of Georgetown University’s main campus. Georgetown University and various other historical sites, including The Volta Bureau and the Old Stone House, The oldest home in Washington. There are embassies from Cameroon, France, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Mongolia, Sweden, Thailand, Ukraine, and Venezuela in Georgetown.
The town is located at The Fall Line; Georgetown was the most distant point in the river at which ocean-going vessels could travel through the Potomac River. It was in 1632 that English Fur trader Henry Fleet discovered the location of an American Indian village of the Nacotchtank people, also known as Tohoga, at the site of the present-day Georgetown as well as established trade in the area. The region was, at the time, an area of the Province of Maryland, an English colony.
George Gordon constructed a tobacco inspection house on the Potomac around 1745. When the inspection building was constructed, the location was already a trading post. Warehouses, wharves, and other structures were built around the inspection building, swiftly growing into a small town. It wasn’t long before Georgetown was transformed into a flourishing port, helping shipping goods and trade from colonial Maryland. EZ Bed Bug Exterminator Washington DC
- Canal Square Building, 1054 31st Street, NW, was the former headquarters of Tabulating Machine Company, a direct antecedent of IBM.
- The City Tavern Club, built-in 1796, is among the oldest commercial buildings in Washington, D.C.
- The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal began in 1829. Dumbarton Oaks, 3101 R Street, NW, former residence of John C. Calhoun, U.S. vice president, in which it that the United Nations charter was outlined in 1944.
- Evermay, built in 1801 and later restored in 1801 by F. Lammot Belin
- The Forrest-Marbury House is located at 3350 M Street, NW, where George Washington met with local landowners to acquire the District of Columbia. Currently, the Embassy of Ukraine.
- Georgetown Lutheran Church was one of the first churches to be established in Georgetown and was founded in 1769. The church’s current structure is the fourth one built on-site and completed in 1914.
Find other attractions similar to Logan Circle